29 June 2013

اسمهان Asmahan


اسمهان

when I'm with you in the bayader                              parts of me fall off
your body is so tender that I'm afraid                          to touch you – lest
you diminish in                                                           beauty and – Asmahan

when you take the veil off your hair                            for me – I am. I become.
and I lust to cover my                                                 body with
your hair                                                                     – to feel its silky smoothness

I crave to worship –                                                     you.
kneel down and –                                                       pray your love into me.
to lose my self and find my self –                                 inside you.

terrified you will – one day –                                       dissolve between my arms
intoxicated by the letters of –                                       your name in my blood.
and one day I will                                                        turn to the ashes of your name.


(c) khulud khamis, forthcoming in Spinifex press.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments are your footprints. I'll never know what impression you were left with if you don't leave any footprints behind you. Please share your thoughts. You're also welcome to drop me a personal line at khulud.kh@gmail.com