13 November 2010

"You can't join the group because you're not Palestinian"

“You can’t join the group because you’re not Palestinian.” It was said as a joke, and she of course didn’t really mean that I couldn’t join the group. But it was a shock to me nevertheless. It’s been a while since I felt an outsider, not belonging to either culture. I remember myself as a child – always somewhere in the corner, never belonging. I was the “foreigner.” I tried hard to fit in, but never quite succeeded. Something was always somewhat off; things never fit exactly into their neat slots. This feeling accompanied me throughout my adolescent years in high school. As an adult, I came to terms with my bi-cultural background and found my identity. Yes, I come from two cultures. But today I feel that my identity is much more closely connected to my Palestinian side than my Slovak. It might be because I left Slovakia at the tender age of eight. It might be because I know almost nothing of Slovakia’s history or literature. It might be because I was searching for roots for so long and when I didn’t find any, I sprouted some here on the slope of the Haifa Carmel Mountain. I don’t know the exact reasons why, nor do I feel any need for them. But I know that I am a Palestinian. Is there a need to explain why? No, I don’t think so either.

Whenever I am asked to present myself, somebody always reminds me in one form or another that I am “half-and-half.” I wonder why they feel this need? What, am I less of a Palestinian because I have foreign blood in me? I don’t want to be looked at as a foreigner anymore. I had been a foreigner – an outsider – most of my childhood years. No more! I am not “half-and-half.” I am a whole. And it is up to me how I present myself to the world. If I feel I am wholly Palestinian, then I am wholly Palestinian, and nobody has the right to take this identity away from me.

So when she said the words – even though jokingly – I felt again my identity is being questioned. But it wasn’t only questioning my identity, but my very belonging to this group of feminist activists, with whom I struggle daily for justice. Suddenly, my very right to stand by her side and to struggle along with her was undermined. Because I am not a Palestinian. Her words threw me again into a turmoil of representation and how I am perceived by my colleagues. Am I still perceived as an outsider? Do I not have the same claims to make my voice heard as they do? Only because my blood contains foreign blood-cells? I stand up and I refuse this label. I am not an outsider. I am not a foreigner. I am Palestinian.
Afterthought: No, being Palestinian of course isn’t my sole identity. I have a plethora of other identities which together compose my whole person. I’ve written about this in the past, for example in the post I am.

3 comments:

  1. as palestinians are the opressed here and you are very social sensitive person and activist it might be also another component to why you identify yourseld as palestinian.
    contrary to you i like to be an outsider and not to belong. even if i understand the reasons why i am treated like that, i want to be a stranger cause then i feel less guilty of beeing part of it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dearest,
    It was a joke and sometimes jokes touch very sensitive places which can cause a reaction like yours. This joke evoked something in you but it doesn't necessarily mean that your friends measure your Palestinianhood by the blood that runs in your veins...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Talma: yes, it is quite interesting to be on the margins, to be an outsider, but when it is out of choice. I think that as children, our basic need is to belong. As a grown woman - I still feel very much an outsider in many respects, because I refuse many of the patriarchal values. But it doesn't mean I don't belong. I can belong and still refuse some values and traditions and struggle against them from within.
    Anonymous: yes, I know it was a joke. I stressed it from the beginning. I can't blame my friends for this, because after all, it is true that I am part foreigner. And they couldn't have known that this would hurt me. thanks for taking the time to read this, dear, I appreciate it. :)

    ReplyDelete

Comments are your footprints. I'll never know what impression you were left with if you don't leave any footprints behind you. Please share your thoughts. You're also welcome to drop me a personal line at khulud.kh@gmail.com